Okay – first, I have to be honest. I watch Christmas movies all year round. Sometimes I need the upbeat, heartwarming storylines and a good singalong. Fa la la la – don’t be a Scrooge! However, every year, there are seven movies I absolutely, positively must watch to get into the holiday spirit.
- White Christmas – Bing Crosby is Christmas. You could never convince me otherwise.
- Miracle on 34th Street (1994) – Usually, I’m a purist when it comes to films and remakes, but the 1994 version of Miracle on 34th Street is so much better than the original.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – For this purpose, I’m combing the cartoon and the live action films. I can never watch one without the other and both make me laugh.
- The Year Without a Santa Claus – Heat Miser and Cold Miser bring the family drama and their songs are so catchy!
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – Speaking of family drama, Clark Griswold is the most insane father on the planet (and a huge insurance liability).
- The Muppet Christmas Carol – This movie is pure nostalgia for me. I remember watching The Muppet Christmas Carol on VHS as a kid and rewinding it over and over to sing along to my favorite songs.
- It Happened on 5th Ave – I watched this movie for the first time over the summer and it skyrocketed to the top of my favorite Christmas movies list. It’s full of humor and hijinx but ends on a note that drew a tear to my eye. If you haven’t seen it, it’s a must! Get on it! Psst… if you buy via this link, you’ll get 3 other really amazing classic Christmas movies.
What holiday movies land in your top 7?