It’s officially October! Ahhh! So excited for all of the Halloween celebrations and activities. I keep Halloween movies and tv specials on repeat throughout the month to keep the spirit alive. However, I am not a fan of horror or traditional “scary” movies so – sorry, but this list is totally family friendly.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: This Tim Burton classic has made the Pumpkin King the face of Halloween. “This is Halloween, everybody make a scene, Trick or treat till the neighbors gonna die of fright, It’s our town, everybody scream, In this town of Halloween.” Try getting that out of your head for the rest of the day!
- Hocus Pocus: Disney asked Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy, and Sarah Jessica Parker to make a tv special about three witches and it turned into one of the most iconic Halloween movies ever. Give it a shot… it’ll put a spell on you.
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch he thinks is the most sincere. Every year, I hold out hope he’s going to pick Linus’s. Also, I hope that Charlie Brown gets something other than rocks.
- Casper: The friendliest ghost you know brings the best silly scares every Halloween with Christina Ricci and Bill Pullman.
- Halloweentown: Another piece of Disney magic. Debbie Reynolds headlines this made-for-tv movie where all manners of ghoulish creatures live in another dimension as happy residents of Halloweentown. But the evil Kalibar has other ideas…
- The Addams Family: “Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.” I never tire of this creepy family and for good reason. It seems every time I watch this movie, I hear a new line that makes me laugh.
- The Corpse Bride: In my opinion, this is one of Tim Burton’s most underrated creations (it also inspired my pumpkin carvings last year!) While practicing his wedding vows, Victor, a shy groom-to-be, finds himself accidentally married to another bride. The only problem is… she’s dead.