Well, June Gloom has officially settled into the California coast, bringing lots of clouds, humidity, and light morning showers. Today, I’m enjoying my usual Sunday routine while basking in the rainy day. Sundays are my quiet days. A day to rest and reset. In fact, this is one of the most true statements about my philosophy on life:
- Run and Yoga. While I exercise throughout the week, I use Sundays to get in quality sneaker and mat time. Without time constraints, I can really focus on my run and my practice without life’s stresses.
- Laundry. All the laundry gets done every Sunday. This keeps us from falling behind and allows me to wear whatever I feel like during the week.
- Gardening. I don’t have a green thumb and have a tendency to forget about my plants. I have reminders to water the plants during the week but on Sundays I really tend to them. I remove or trim dying leaves. I harvest herbs. It’s surprisingly relaxing and keeps my garden healthy.
- Weekly Cleaning. The chores list sounds long but doesn’t take longer than an hour every Sunday. Vacuuming, mopping, dusting, dishes, etc. all get done.
- Meal (Snack) Prep. I used to be the person who did meal prep for the full week but I found I missed cooking throughout the week. Instead, I prep my snacks for the week to ensure I don’t reach for unhealthy options on the fly. This usually means I make humus and divide up veggies into serving size containers.
- Family Dinner. While we are only a family of two (plus our furbaby), we are trying to build the tradition of eating a sit down meal together every Sunday. This means at the dining table with place settings. I spend a good portion of the day cooking a more elaborate meal than a weekday meal. It’s a nice opportunity to enjoy the end of the weekend and connect before diving back into our busy schedules.
- Pampering. Before heading off to bed, I throw on some guilty-pleasure tv and take time to paint my nails, do a facial, and relax one last time. A little me time really helps settle me down for bed and while small, feels like I’ve really done something for me.
Do you have a Sunday ritual? I’d love to hear what other people do to prep themselves for the week.